1Department of Physics, JNTUA College of Engineering, Pulivendula, Kadapa, India
2Department. of Chemistry, BMS Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India
3Department of Chemistry, Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur, India
In this present study reports the green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using Betel leaf extracts and zinc acetate. The functionalization of ZnO particles through Betel leaf extract mediated bio reduction of ZnO was investigated through X-ray diffraction, Field emission scanning electron microscopy, photoluminescence, thermal gravimetric-differential thermal analysis, hexagonal shaped ZnO-nanoparticles with size about 50 nm were synthesized and characterized using X-ray diffraction analysis. The diameter of the nanoparticles in the range of 50 nm was found from scanning electron microscopy study. Photo luminescence study reveals the blue emission at 463nm respectively. hermal gravimetric-differential thermal analysis show that the observed at 480oC, indicating that no decomposition occurs above this temperature. The photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue dye was examined using ZnO nanoparticles under solar as well as ultra violet light irradiation of the MB dye. The method stands out primarily due to the fact that it is eco-friendly and shuts down the demerits of conventional physical and chemical methods. These particles are anticipated to have extensive applications in various industries.
1. Diallo A, Ngom BD, Park E, Maaza M. Green synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles by Aspalathus linearis: Structural & optical propertiesJ. Alloys Compd. 2015;646:425-30.
2. Ambika S, Sundrarajan M. Green biosynthesis of ZnO nanoparticles using Vitex negundo L. extract: Spectroscopic investigation of interaction between ZnO nanoparticles and human serum albumin. J. Photochem. Photobiol., B. 2015;149:143-8.
3. Suresh D, Shobharani RM, Nethravathi PC, Pavan Kumar MA, Nagabhushana H, Sharma SC. Artocarpus gomezianus aided green synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles: Luminescence, photocatalytic and antioxidant properties. Spectrochim. Acta, Part A. 2015;141:128-34.
4. Abdul Salam H, Sivaraj R, Venckatesh R. Green synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles from Ocimum basilicum L. var. purpurascens Benth.-Lamiaceae leaf extract. Mater. Lett. 2014;131:16-8.
5. van Dijken A, Meulenkamp EA, Vanmaekelbergh D, Meijerink A. Identification of the transition responsible for the visible emission in ZnO using quantum size effects. J. Lumin. 2000;90(3–4):123-8.
6. Nagajyothi PC, Minh An TN, Sreekanth TVM, Lee J-i, Joo Lee D, Lee KD. Green route biosynthesis: Characterization and catalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles. Mater. Lett. 2013;108:160-3.
7. Gao PX, Ding Y, Mai W, Hughes WL, Lao C, Wang ZL. Conversion of Zinc Oxide Nanobelts into Superlattice-Structured Nanohelices. Science. 2005;309(5741):1700.
8. Cheng XL, Zhao H, Huo LH, Gao S, Zhao JG. ZnO nanoparticulate thin film: preparation, characterization and gas-sensing property. Sens. Actuators, B. 2004;102(2):248-52.
9. Zhang J, Yu W, Zhang L. Fabrication of semiconducting ZnO nanobelts using a halide source and their photoluminescence properties. Phys. Lett. A. 2002 1;299(2):276-81.
10. Zhang Q, Xie C, Zhang S, Wang A, Zhu B, Wang L, Yang Z. Identification and pattern recognition analysis of Chinese liquors by doped nano ZnO gas sensor array. Sens. Actuators, B: Chemical. 2005; 14;110(2):370-6.
11. Topoglidis E, Cass AE, O’Regan B, Durrant JR. Immobilisation and bioelectrochemistry of proteins on nanoporous TiO 2 and ZnO films. J. Electrochem. Soc. 2001; 28;517(1):20-7.
12. Hames Y, Alpaslan Z, Kösemen A, San SE, Yerli Y. Electrochemically grown ZnO nanorods for hybrid solar cell applications. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells. 2010; Mar 31;84(3):426-31.
13. Jun W, Changsheng X, Zikui B, Bailin Z, Kaijin H, Run W. Preparation of ZnO-glass varistor from tetrapod ZnO nanopowders. Mater. Sci. Eng.: B. 2002; 1;95(2):157-61.
14. Sharma P, Sreenivas K, Rao KV. Analysis of ultraviolet photoconductivity in ZnO films prepared by unbalanced magnetron sputtering. J. Appl. Phys. 2003; 1;93(7): 3963-70.
15. Kamat PV, Huehn R, Nicolaescu R. A “sense and shoot” approach for photocatalytic degradation of organic contaminants in water. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2002; 31;106(4):788-94.
16. Sánchez L, Domènech X. Degradation of 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid by in situ photogenerated Fenton reagent. Electrochim. Acta. 1996; 31;41(13):1981-5.
17. Huang WJ, Fang GC, Wang CC. A nanometer-ZnO catalyst to enhance the ozonation of 2, 4, 6-trichlorophenol in water. Colloids Surf., A. 2005; 15;260(1):45-51.
18. Chandran SP, Chaudhary M, Pasricha R, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Synthesis of gold nanotriangles and silver nanoparticles using Aloevera plant extract. Biotechnol Prog. 2006; 1;22(2):577-83.
19. Qiu J, Weng B, Zhao L, Chang C, Shi Z, Li X, Kim HK, Hwang YH. Synthesis and characterization of flower-like bundles of ZnO nanosheets by a surfactant-free hydrothermal process. J Nanomater. 2014; 1; 2014: 211.
20. Singhal G, Bhavesh R, Kasariya K, Sharma AR, Singh RP. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi) leaf extract and screening its antimicrobial activity. J. Nanopart. Res. 2011; 1;13(7):2981-8.
21. Mallikarjuna K, Narasimha G, Dillip GR, Praveen B, Shreedhar B, Lakshmi CS, Reddy BV, Raju BD. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimum leaf extract and their characterization. Dig J Nanometer Bios. 2011; 1;6(1):181-6.
22. Sangeetha G, Rajeshwari S, Venckatesh R. Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles by aloe barbadensis miller leaf extract: Structure and optical properties. Mater. Res. Bull. . 2011; 31;46(12):2560-6.
23. Soosen Samuel M, Bose L, George KC. Optical properties of ZnO nanoparticles. Academic Review. 2009:57-65.
24. Salam HA, Sivaraj R, Venckatesh R. Green synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles from Ocimum basilicum L. var. purpurascens Benth.-Lamiaceae leaf extract. Mater lett. 2014; 15;131:16-8.
25. Zak AK, Majid WA, Darroudi M, Yousefi R. Synthesis and characterization of ZnO nanoparticles prepared in gelatin media. Mater lett. 2011; 15;65(1):70-3.
26. Zak AK, Majid WA, Mahmoudian MR, Darroudi M, Yousefi R. Starch-stabilized synthesis of ZnO nanopowders at low temperature and optical properties study. Adv. Powder Technol.. 2013; 31;24(3):618-24.
27. Ramesh M, Anbuvannan M, Viruthagiri G. Green synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles using Solanum nigrum leaf extract and their antibacterial activity. Spectrochim. Acta Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc.. 2015; 5;136:864-70.
28. Maneva M, Petrov N. On the thermal decomposition of Zn (NO3) 2• 6H2O and its deuterated analogue. J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 1989; 1;35(7):2297-303.