Baghdad College of Economic Sciences University, Iraq
Introduction of the nanoparticles in the bulk glass received a large interest due to their versatile application. The composition of Er+3-doped Zinc-Lead-Phosphate glass samples are prepared by melt-quenching technique. The structural and optical properties of phosphate glass have been examined by x-ray diffraction, field emission scanning electron microscopy, photoluminescence spectroscopy and UV-Vis-NIR scanning spectrophotometer. The x-ray diffraction pattern has confirmed their amorphous nature and the field emission scanning electron microscopy micrograph showed the distribution of nanoparticles in glass. The study indicates that doped SnO2 nanoparticles have an influence on the band gap energy that decreases with the increasing amount of nanoparticles. The photoluminescence spectra showed three peaks at the green-orange region of the visible spectrum and four times enhancement for doped 0.25% SnO2 nanoparticles. The enhancement in the luminescence intensity of the green-orange region is found to be due to the effective local field of nanoparticles. The optical properties motivate to use these glassed as novel luminescent optical materials.
1. Weber MJ. Science and technology of laser glass. J Non-Cryst Solids. 1990;123(1–3):208-22.
2. Chen W, Bovin J-O, Joly AG, Wang S, Su F, Li G. Full-Color Emission from In2S3 and In2S3:Eu3+ Nanoparticles. Phys. Chem. B. 2004;108(32):11927-34.
3. Najar A, Charrier J, Lorrain N, Haji L, Oueslati M. Optical gain measurements in porous silicon planar waveguides codoped by erbium and ytterbium ions at 1.53μm. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2007;91(12):121120.
4. Vela J, Prall BS, Rastogi P, Werder DJ, Casson JL, Williams DJ, et al. Sensitization and Protection of Lanthanide Ion Emission in In2O3:Eu Nanocrystal Quantum Dots. J. Phys. Chem. C. 2008;112(51):20246-50.
5. Zhang X, Lin T, Jiang X, Xu J, Liu J, Xu L, et al. Photoluminescence from Er3+ ion and SnO2 nanocrystal co-doped silica thin films. COL. 2012;10(9):091603-.
6. Jose G, Jose G, Thomas V, Joseph C, Ittyachen MA, Unnikrishnan NV. Fluorescence enhancement from Eu3+ ions in CdSe nanocrystal containing silica matrix hosts. Mater. Lett. 2003;57(5–6):1051-5.
7. Ishizumi A, Kanemitsu Y. Structural and luminescence properties of Eu-doped ZnO nanorods fabricated by a microemulsion method. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2005; 86(25): 253106.
8. Lin C-C, Lin K-M, Li Y-Y. Sol–gel synthesis and photoluminescent characteristics of -doped nanophosphors. Journal of Luminescence. 2007;126(2):795-9.
9. Wan N, Xu J, Lin T, Zhang X, Xu L. Energy transfer and enhanced luminescence in metal oxide nanoparticle and rare earth codoped silica. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2008;92(20):201109.
10. Weber MJ, Myers JD, Blackburn DH. Optical properties of Nd3+ in tellurite and phosphotellurite glasses. J. Appl. Phys. 1981;52(4):2944-9.
11. Dousti MR, Sahar MR, Ghoshal SK, Amjad RJ, Arifin R. Up-conversion enhancement in Er3 +-Ag co-doped zinc tellurite glass: Effect of heat treatment. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2012;358(22):2939-42.
12. Zhang WF, Yin Z, Zhang MS, Du ZL, Chen WC. Roles of defects and grain sizes in photoluminescence of nanocrystalline SrTiO 3. J. Phys. Condens. Matter. 1999;11(29):5655.
13. Brovelli S, Galli A, Lorenzi R, Meinardi F, Spinolo G, Tavazzi S, et al. Efficient 1.53 μm erbium light emission in heavily Er-doped titania-modified aluminium tellurite glasses. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2007;353(22–23):2150-6.
14. Marjanovic S, Toulouse J, Jain H, Sandmann C, Dierolf V, Kortan AR, et al. Characterization of new erbium-doped tellurite glasses and fibers. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2003;322(1–3):311-8.
15. Gu F, Wang SF, Lü MK, Qi YX, Zhou GJ, Xu D, et al. Luminescent characteristics of Eu3+ in SnO2 nanoparticles. Opt. Mater. 2004;25(1):59-64.
16. Elhouichet H, Othman L, Moadhen A, Oueslati M, Roger JA. Enhanced photoluminescence of Tb3+ and Eu3+ induced by energy transfer from SnO2 and Si nanocrystallites. Mater. Sci. Eng. B. 2003;105(1–3):8-11.
17. Castillo JD, Rodríguez VD, Yanes AC, Méndez-Ramos J, Torres ME. Luminescent properties of transparent nanostructured Eu 3+ doped SnO2 –SiO2 glass-ceramics prepared by the sol–gel method. Nanotechnology. 2005;16(5):S300.
18. Aboud H, Wagiran H, Hossain I, Hussin R, Saber S, Aziz M. Effect of co-doped SnO2 nanoparticles on the optical properties of Cu-doped lithium potassium borate glass. , Mater. Lett. 2012;85:21-4.
19. Aziz M, Saber Abbas S, Wan Baharom WR. Size-controlled synthesis of SnO2 nanoparticles by sol–gel method. Mater. Lett. 2013;91:31-4.